Sunday, April 12, 2015

Water in the Streets of Bangkok

There are three seasons in Thailand hot, rainy and not as hot (they call it the cool season). It is currently the hot season in Thailand.  However it occasionally rains even in the hot season. Last week we were blessed with a down pouring of moisture from the sky.  I had to go to two banks on the way to the office. So Lois went with me to the first Bank and then went on to the office.  As I was waiting for the Bank to open (8:30 AM) it started to rain, I stepped around the side of the building to get out of the direct path of the rain.  Once I got inside to do my business, it really stated to rain.  After that transaction was complete I had to walk down the street about 200 feet to another bank.  I used my umbrella to try and keep me dry.  I carry a small folding umbrella in my bag 6 months of the year.  The umbrella put up a good fight but it was no match for the amount of rain coming down.  When I was done at the second bank 20 minutes had elapsed from the start of the rain.  The streets were beginning to flood.  Meaning that the rain was coming down faster than the streets could carry the water away to a nearby canal.  I grasped my bag and carried it close to my chest attempting to keep the contents dry.  Since I had a 9 AM appointment at the office - Meeting with Church headquarters and Hong Kong regarding the new Vehicle Management Software called CARS, I could not just wait out the rain.  So I started off towards the office, getting wetter with every step. 

There is a location where the sidewalk narrows and the street is close.  The water was deep in the street.  I have been doused there before by passing cars - so I checked my 6 (rear view) it looked clear. As I got close to the narrowest spot I met some ongoing pedestrians so I slowed down.  Unfortunately that slow down allowed a big bus to douse me above my waist.

When I got to the last street there was no choice but to step out into the street into ankle deep water in order to cross.  When I reached the office I was soaked from above the waist to my toes.  I took off my shoes and socks. I rang out my socks and put them on the un-interruptible power supply for my desktop PC to try to get them dry.  So for most of the day I walked around the office in my bare 
feet. One of the Thai employees teased me about my white feet.

I was dry enough by 6 PM to go out with the Branch President and 1st counselor to visit members in their home.

The pictures below are from another rainstorm about a week prior. Very similar results as far as he depth of water in the streets.  That day I walked back from the office  - your mother was already at the Condo and was oblivious to the rain outside.  I only got partially soaked that day.
These pictures are taken by your mother who went outside after it stopped raining to see the flooding. 


No comments:

Post a Comment