Monday, May 19, 2014

Maid from the Past

I got a phone call from the District Leader Elder Cutler in Lopburi last month.  He told us that he was on the street and saw a lady ahead of him that he felt inspired to contact.  It turned out to be Somkhid.  Somkhid  was my maid in the city of Lopburi 38 years ago. Elder Cutler told me that Somkhid had joined the church a few years after I had gone home. However she has been inactive for 6 or 7 years. She started working for the Missionaries not long before I arrived. Somkhid's husband had died of a brain tumor. She had a 2 year old daughter.  She supported herself by working as a maid at the Missionaries home 6 days a week.  She shopped for food daily and prepared 2 meals a day.  She also cleaned our home which doubled as he chapel and washed our clothes - by hand.  Her salary in those days was $50 USD per month. That was a good middle class salary in those days.

We visited her and her family on a Saturday last month. Two weeks later I borrowed the Office Van and went to Lopburi early Sunday morning to take Somkhid to church.  She met us in the driveway and we went to church together.  Several of the members their knew her. I believe she was well received.  There were over 80 people at Sacrament meeting that day.  The rented chapel was filled to overflowing.  That is a lot more than the 1 member that we had in Lopburi when I first arrived 38 years ago.
Son-in-law, Daughter, Granddaughter, Sister Somkhid and Elder Meeker
After Church was over we returned to her home where she had prepared a Thai meal for Lois and I.  It was marvelous.  I was eating her cooking again after so many years.  I do love Thai food.

No comments:

Post a Comment